Current:Home > MyAustralia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship -Capitatum
Australia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 07:58:24
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia will send 11 military personnel to support a U.S.-led mission to protect cargo shipping in the Red Sea, but it will not send a warship or plane, the defense minister said Thursday.
Defense Minister Richard Marles said Australia’s military needs to keep focused on the Pacific region.
The United States announced this week that several nations are creating a force to protect commerecial shipping from attack by drones and ballistic missiles fired from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.
Marles said 11 military personnel will be sent in January to Operation Prosperity Guardian’s headquarters in Bahrain, where five Australians are already posted.
“We won’t be sending a ship or a plane,” hs told Sky News television. “That said, we will be almost tripling our contribution to the combined maritime force.”
“We need to be really clear around our strategic focus, and our strategic focus is our region: the northeast Indian Ocean, the South China Sea, the East China Sea, the Pacific,” Marles added.
The U.S. and its allies are concerned by China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
Australia is one of the United States’ closest military allies. The U.S. Congress last week passed legislation allowing the sale of Virginia-class nuclear-powered submarines to Australia under a security pact that includes Britain.
Marles rejected opposition lawmakers’ criticism that a failure to send a warship as the United States had requested made Australia a less reliable partner and ally.
“That’s patently ridiculous,” Marles said.
The United States is aware of the scale of the Australian defense force and the need to maintain its focus on the Asia-Pacific region, he said.
“It is to state the obvious that to take a major asset and put it in the Middle East is to take a major asset away from what we’re doing in the immediate region,” Marles said.
Opposition defense spokesman Andrew Hastie called on Australia to send a warship.
“It’s in our national interest to contribute. If we want others to help us in a time of need, we need to step up and reciprocate now,” Hastie said.
Several cargo ships in the Red Sea have been damaged by the attacks. Multiple shipping companies have ordered their ships not enter the Bab el-Mandeb Strait until security is improved.
veryGood! (76678)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- How often will Taylor Swift be shown during the Super Bowl? Now you can bet on it
- Judge in Trump's 2020 election case delays March 4 trial date
- Joni Mitchell Makes Rare Appearance Ahead of First-Ever Grammys Performance
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Who won at the Grammys? Here's a complete winner list
- Grammys 2024 best dressed stars: Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo, Janelle Monáe stun on the red carpet
- 'Senior Swifties': Retirement center goes viral for 'Swag Surfin' to cheer on Chiefs
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Men's college basketball schedule today: The six biggest games Saturday
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Police: Inert Cold War-era missile found in garage of Washington state home
- At least 46 were killed in Chile as forest fires move into densely populated areas
- Bon Jovi rocks with Springsteen, McCartney dances in the crowd at Grammys MusiCares event
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- A stolen digital memory card with gruesome recordings leads to a double murder trial in Alaska
- Clearwater plane crash: 3 victims killed identified, NTSB continues to investigate cause
- Michigan woman holiday wish turned into reality after winning $500,000 from lottery game
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Ayo Edebiri confronts Nikki Haley, 'SNL' receives backlash for cameo
Red carpet looks from the 2024 Grammy Awards
Doja Cat Has Our Attention With Sheer Look on 2024 Grammys Red Carpet
NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
Man extradited from Sweden to face obstruction charges in arson case targeting Jewish organizations
A stolen digital memory card with gruesome recordings leads to a double murder trial in Alaska
Hamlin wins exhibition Clash at the Coliseum as NASCAR moves race up a day to avoid California storm